Daniil Sergeyevich Medvedev is a Russian tennis player. Medvedev has won 20 ATP Tour singles championships, including the US Open in 2021 and the ATP Finals in 2020. He is the first and only player in history to defeat the world’s top three ranked players on the way to the year-end championship triumph. He has also won six Masters Championships and competed in four Major and nine Masters finals.
Medvedev earned his first ATP Tour singles championships in Sydney and Winston-Salem and his first ATP 500 title in Tokyo in 2018. In February 2022, Medvedev became the first man to hold the world No. 1 ranking outside of the Big Three since Andy Murray in November 2016, the third Russian man after Yevgeny Kafelnikov in 1999 and Marat Safin in 2000, and the 27th man overall.
|Full name||Daniil Sergeyevich Medvedev|
|Residence||Monte Carlo, Monaco|
|Born||2/11/1996, Moscow, Russia|
|Plays||Right-handed (two-handed backhand)|
Daniil Medvedev Career Stats
2019: Medvedev’s Junior Career
- Medvedev made his junior debut at 13 at a grade 4 competition in Estonia in July 2009.
- He won his first junior championship as a qualifier in December 2010 in his third event.
- He made his junior Grand Slam debut in 2013 at Junior Wimbledon, where he fell in the second round to second seed Nikola Milojevi.
- He qualified for the 2013 Junior US Open as the 10th seed and advanced to the third round, where Johan Tatlot defeated him.
2015-2018: ATP Debut and Highlighted Moments
- He managed his first ATP singles final in January 2017. He lost in two sets to Roberto Bautista Agut in the final of the Chennai Open.
- Medvedev won his first Grand Slam match at the 2017 Wimbledon Championships, upsetting fifth seed and world No. 3 Stan Wawrinka in four sets in the first round.
- Medvedev began his 2018 campaign by qualifying for the Sydney International. He advanced to the final, winning over Australian Alex de Minaur.
2019: Road to Glory
- Medvedev earned his fourth ATP championship in February at the Sofia Open, defeating Márton Fucsovics in the final. Medvedev entered the US Open ranked fifth in the world. Rafael Nadal beat Medvedev in five sets in the Finals.
- Medvedev went on to win his second straight Shanghai Masters championship, defeating Alexander Zverev in the final.
2020: Year of Master’s Titles
- Medvedev made a comeback in 2020, winning his first championship in a year at the Paris Masters.
- Medvedev won all of his round-robin matches at the ATP Finals in straight sets against Alexander Zverev, Novak Djokovic, and Diego Schwartzman. Medvedev returned from a set to upset Rafael Nadal in the semifinals before defeating Dominic Thiem in the final, again from a set down.
- With the win, he became the first player to defeat the world’s top three players at the ATP Finals and just the fourth player (after Djokovic, Boris Becker, and David Nalbandian) to accomplish it since the ATP Tour’s beginning in 1990.
2021: First Grand Slam Win
- Medvedev won his first championship of the season, defeating Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the final of the Open 13 in Marseille.
- Medvedev had a wildcard to compete in Mallorca Championships, where he won his 1st career grass-court championship.
- He began the North American hard-court season in the Canadian Open, winning the championship by defeating Reilly Opelka in the final.
- Medvedev won his first major victory at the US Open by dropping just one set against Novak Djokovic in the final. The final drew great interest since Djokovic attempted to become only the second man in Open Era history to complete the calendar-year Grand Slam.
- Medvedev windup his 2021 season by leading Russia to the Davis Cup title, not dropping a set through his five singles matches.
2022: World Number 1 Standings
- Medvedev entered the Mexican Open to dethrone Novak Djokovic as world number one. Medvedev advanced to the semifinals before being lost to Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final rematch. However, because Djokovic was also eliminated in the Dubai quarterfinals, Medvedev rose to world number one for the first time.
- Medvedev began his summer hard-court season in North America by winning the Los Cabos Open, defeating Cameron Norrie in the final.
2023: Regaining His Form
- Medvedev joined the ABN AMRO Open in Rotterdam in February as the sixth seed, reaching the finals while dropping only one set. He defeated Italian No. 1 Jannik Sinner in three sets in the final, returning to the Top 10. The following week, Medvedev won the Qatar ExxonMobil Open as the third seed, defeating Andy Murray in straight sets in the final.
- In March, Medvedev upset No. 2 Andrey Rublev in straight sets in an all-Russian final to win his third title in three weeks and his 18th overall in Dubai, becoming the first player in Open Era to achieve the feat.
- In the third round of the following Masters in Madrid, he defeated first-time qualifier and compatriot Alexander Shevchenko.
Daniil Medvedev and Stefanos Tsitsipas met 12 times since 2018, with Medvedev holding an 8-4 advantage. Apart from Carlos Alcaraz, they are regarded as two of the finest tennis players of their generation. Medvedev won their first five meetings, but Tsitsipas has won four of their last seven.
Medvedev and Zverev have met 15 times, with Medvedev winning the series 9-6. Zverev won the first four games of their rivalry, while Medvedev won eight of the remaining nine.
Medvedev–Nadal and Djokovic
Medvedev has played Rafael Nadal (at the 2019 US Open and 2022 Australian Open) and Novak Djokovic (at the 2021 Australian Open and 2021 US Open) twice in his four grand slam final appearances.
He beat Djokovic in straight sets in the 2021 US Open to capture his first major championship and deny Djokovic the Calendar Grand Slam.
The following year, at the 2022 Australian Open, he aimed to become the first player in Open Era history to win his second major title immediately after the first. Still, Nadal defeated him in an epic five-set encounter after being two sets up.
Daniil Medvedev Career Earnings and Endorsements
As of 2023, he has 5 Titles in the baggage with a total winning prize of $4,742,805. Regarding his career, Medvedev has 20 titles overall and immense career earnings of $31,343,187.
Medvedev wears Lacoste clothing and shoes, Tecnifibre racquets, and Bovet watches. He has also worked as an ambassador for gaming equipment for BMW, Tinkoff Bank, and HyperX, mainly in the Russian-speaking world. Until 2019, he was endorsed by Lotto for clothes and shoes. He has been signed as a promoter of the Guojiao 1573 brand since November 2021.
Medvedev’s Grand Slams Record
Medvedev has only won a single Grand Slam in the 2021 US Open, where he beat Serbian Novak Djokovic.
|US Open||2019||Hard||Spain Rafael Nadal||5–7, 3–6, 7–5, 6–4, 4–6||Loss|
|Australian Open||2021||Hard||Serbia Novak Djokovic||5–7, 2–6, 2–6||Loss|
|US Open||2021||Hard||Serbia Novak Djokovic||6–4, 6–4, 6–4||Win|
|Australian Open||2022||Hard||Spain Rafael Nadal||6–2, 7–6(7–5), 4–6, 4–6, 5–7||Loss|